“Squid Game” became the OTT platform’s most-watched series when it was released in September 2021. The show tells the story of cash-strapped contestants who play childhood games for a chance of life-changing sums of money. It inspired countless memes and Halloween costumes and kickstarted sales of green tracksuits.
“Red light… GREENLIGHT!” reads the message alongside the teaser, which features a brief animation of the gigantic animatronic doll that features heavily in the “Squid Game” pilot.
Red light… GREENLIGHT! Squid Game is officially coming back for Season 2! https://t.co/4usO2Zld39
—Netflix (@netflix) 1655049600000
Writer and director Hwang Dong-hyuk teased a few details about the show’s second season in an official letter.
“It took 12 years to bring the first season of “Squid Game” to life last year. But it took 12 days for “Squid Game” to become the most popular Netflix series ever,” reads the statement from director Hwang.
“As the writer, director and producer of ‘Squid Game,’ a huge shout out to fans around the world. Thank you for watching and loving our show.”
Hwang’s statement continues by teasing a bit of the story for the follow-up season, revealing that protagonist Seong Gi-hun (Lee Jung-jae) and the masked antagonist the Front Man (Lee Byung-hun) will both return.
“The man in the suit with ddakji might be back,” Hwang writes, before also stating that the boyfriend of Young-hee, the gigantic killer animatronic doll that introduces viewers to how deadly the game is, will be introduced.
“Join us once more for a whole new round,” the statement concludes.
The announcement, however, did not reveal when the new season would be released.
Back in December, Hwang confirmed that he was in talks for not just the second but also the third season of the show. In the weeks that followed its September 17 debut, a local Korean news outlet reported that the writer-director said in broadcast, “I’m in talks with Netflix over season 2 as well as season 3. We will come to a conclusion any time soon.”
During a November special screening and Q&A for the series, Hwang shared that he had been working on a season two storyline and was currently in talks with the OTT giant over another season, something he felt “a lot of pressure for” while in Korea and had since been asked about repeatedly by the press in Los Angeles following the show’s breakout global success.
“I do have a basic storyline for season two, it’s all in my head, and I am currently in the brainstorming stage,” the writer-director told The Hollywood Reporter, adding, “It will happen, someday, but as for when I cannot tell you the details.”