New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi Sunday visited Jammu and Kashmir’s Palli village in Samba district on the occasion of Panchayati Raj Diwas. I have laid the foundation stone and inaugurated several development projects in the valley.
On reaching Palli, the Prime Minister received a warm welcome from sarpanches, development officers, and thousands of local people who gathered at Palli to witness the Panchayati Raj Day event.
On his first major visit to Jammu and Kashmir after the abrogation of Article 370, he inaugurated and laid the foundation of multiple development initiatives worth Rs 20,000 crore in the Union Territory.
PM Modi laid the foundation stones for the 850 MW Ratle Hydroelectric Project and 540 MW Kwar Hydroelectric Project to be constructed on the Chenab river in Kishtwar District.
The Prime Minister also inaugurated the Banihal-Qazigund Road Tunnel, built at a cost of over Rs 3,100 crores. The 8.45 Km long tunnel will reduce the road distance between Banihal and Qazigund by 16 km, and reduce journey time by around one and a half hour.
He also laid the foundation stone of the Delhi-Amritsar-Katra Expressway and inaugurated the 500KW Solar Power Plant at Palli village along with 108 Jan Aushadhi Kendras, in Samba. After the inauguration, PM Modi addressed the people gathered at the event.
Here are some key points of PM Modi’s speech:
- PM Modi said that he is visiting Jammu with a message of development and to give speed to development in J&K, projects worth over Rs 20,000 crore have been inaugurated today.
- The Prime Minister said that with the inauguration of a 500 KW solar power plant at Palli in Samba District, it is moving towards becoming the country’s first panchayat to become carbon neutral…The people of Palli have demonstrated what ‘Sabka prayas’ can do .
- Focusing on the Panchayati Raj Diwas, PM Modi said, “this year’s Panchayati Raj Day, being celebrated in J&K marks a big change. It is a matter of great pride that when democracy has reached the grassroot level in J&K, I am interacting with you all from here.”
- The Prime Minister said that a new story of development is being written in Jammu & Kashmir. Many private investors are interested to come to J&K. He said, “Be it democracy or development, today Jammu and Kashmir, is setting a new example. New dimensions of development have been created in Jammu and Kashmir in the last 2-3 years.”
- Speaking about the Delhi-Amritsar-Katra expressway, PM Modi said, “when I speak about ‘Ek Bharat, Shreshtha Bharat’, our focus is on connectivity and bridging distances. Our aim is to provide all-weather connectivity to Jammu and Kashmir. ”
- Talking about the changes in the Union Territory after the abrogation of Article 370, PM Modi said that the valley is now witnessing huge tourism and investment. People who couldn’t avail the benefits of reservation earlier are soaring higher and many jobs have been created due to industries being set up in Jammu.
- The Prime Minister also said that once the hydroelectric power stations start, Jammu and Kashmir will generate electricity which will be a new source of income for the union territory contributing to its development.
The Prime Minister also visited the INTACH photo gallery which depicts the rural heritage of the region, and Nokia Smartpur, a rural entrepreneurship-based model designed to create ideal smart villages in India.